The Peel watershed in the northern Yukon is home to the greatest constellation of wild mountain rivers in North America.
Your steadfast support has ensured that the Yukon government knows the majority of Yukon voters want the Peel watershed protected; and, that people from all over the world are watching to see what decision will be made on this global ecological treasure.
Will the government respect the recommendations of the independent Planning Commission, public opinion and First Nations rights, or will they say yes to multi-national corporations and mining speculators who want to exploit this spectacular wild landscape?
The Peel Watershed Planning Commission released its Final Recommended Peel Watershed Regional Land Use Plan in July, 2011. It recommends permanent protection for 55% of the Peel, focussing on the renowned Wind, Snake and Bonnet Plume watersheds. The Plan also calls for interim Wilderness Area protection for 25% of the Peel region, for a total of 80% in conservation lands. Although affected First Nations and conservation organizations want 100% protected, they are willing to compromise and accept this plan. Territorial politicians need to know that Yukoners and people from across Canada support the Final Recommended Plan.
Read Bruce Kirkby's Globe & Mail article on why Canada needs to protect the Peel watershed. How long will Canada's final frontier stay wild?